Breaking News
Home / Business / JP Morgan’s CEO Jamie Dimon pulls out of Saudi conference due to suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
JP Morgan's CEO Jamie Dimon pulls out of Saudi conference due to suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi

JP Morgan’s CEO Jamie Dimon pulls out of Saudi conference due to suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi

  • Chairman and CEO of J.P. Morgan Chase, Jamie Dimon will not be attending an investment conference in Saudi Arabia next week amid concerns about the sudden disappearance and suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
  • Several top executives and media outlets including Financial Times, CNBC, CNN and The New York Times have withdrawn from the event, citing the same concerns related to the disappearance and suspected killing of Khashoggi.

CEO of J.P. Morgan Chase, Jamie Dimon will not be attending an investment conference in Saudi Arabia later this month, the bank said on Sunday, amid concerns about the disappearance and suspected killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The announcement came just a few hours after another top executive, Ford Motor Chairman Bill Ford, announced that he too would not be attending the Future Investment Initiative, also known as the “Davos in the Desert,” which is scheduled for October 23rd to 25th.

It should be noted that many top level executives as well as media outlets such as CNN, CNBC, Financial Times and The New York Times have already withdrawn from the event.

The Future Investment Initiative is conducted to highlight Saudi Arabia’s significance on the global stage, especially with investors. The withdrawal of a major Wall Street CEO is a real bad setback.

Even though many have backed out, some still have maintained their plans to attend.

Christine Lagarde of The International Monetary Fund said over the weekend that she still plans to attend the event. U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Friday that he, too, still plans to attend the Future Investment Initiative conference.

Jamal Khashoggi who had been a critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and the Saudi royal family, was last seen on the 2nd of October when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. It is still not clear what happened to him after this, however he is suspected to have been killed.

Though Saudi Arabia has denied any involvement in the disappearance of Khashoggi, Turkey has reportedly informed the United States that it has a video and audio proof which shows that Khashoggi was killed inside the consulate.

Khashoggi had been living for a long time in the United States as a voluntary exile from Saudi Arabia. He used to write for The Washington Post.

It has been 12 days since there is no information on his whereabouts. If the evidence with Turkey is true, then this is a really sad news.

About Michael Taylor

mm
Michael Taylor, Team Leader at Feed Ride, graduated in Textile Design from F.I.T. He has a lot of experience in business as it was his passion and he started it as a profession at an early age. His bold and bright personality allows him to fearlessly collect data and information from many sources. His experience and influence helps provide the website with all the latest news in Business niche.

Check Also

Bill Ackman reveals $900 million bet on Starbucks, sees shares doubling in the next three years

Bill Ackman reveals $900 million bet on Starbucks, sees shares doubling in the next three years

Bill Ackman of Pershing Square Capital revealed on Tuesday at a conference in New York that …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *